NuPack, The New Open Source Package Manager For Visual Studio
Scott Guthrie announced yesterday the release of some pretty cool stuff: NuPack, ASP.NET MVC 3 Beta and WebMatrix 3 Beta.
NuPack is an open source package manager, something that has been missing from the VS Toolset, and that, from now on will be available for you to use in any VS2010 project. What does this mean? It means that from now on, the task of referencing open source libraries (NHibernate, Ninject, Moq, etc) has been simplified tenfold as you can use a package manager window pretty much like you’ve been using the extension manager window in VS 2010 to add these references to your projects. Below you can see a sample video about Nupack in action:
And to end this post, a summary of NuPacks features. NuPack:
- is able to manage dependency between libraries
- allows you to easily update the libraries you are using in your projects
- lets you remove those libraries you don’t want to use anymore
- can also update your web.config files if a certain package requires some setup
- allows packages to install PowerShell Script (for superfast scaffolding for instance)
- is an addition on top of VS 2010 that doesn’t affect it at all (doesn’t add anything at system level), and can be removed without pain
- is an open source project!